Monday, June 5, 2023

Bittersweet

            


     To be perfectly honest, I have been putting off writing my final blog because it makes me kind of sad. Maybe melancholic or bittersweet are better words for it, but writing this final blog means that the whirlwind of the trip is over, and subsequently, so is my career as an undergrad at Mercyhurst. I’m certainly going to miss it. This trip was easily one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I will never forget how beautiful Scotland was, or how, despite my poor sense of direction, easy the Tube was to use, or how much Dublin loves James Joyce and Ulysses. This trip made me more confident in my abilities as a traveler, and sharing the experience with so many people was awesome!

     I have so many memories from this trip, and whether they were big moments, like walking Abbey Road, or smaller, but equally impressive, moments like when Mira caught a spider in our hotel room in Scotland with her bare hands, I will be sure to remember them forever (and these blogs certainly help!). I enjoyed going to the Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, and British museums, and seeing swans in the

Knit Flowers on Church
River Liffey was something I was not expecting. Taking a walk through the suburbs of Edinburgh allowed me to see another side of the city, one with knit flowers on church railings, really cool street art, and the occasional shoplifter. It was all really wonderful. 

       The best benefit of this trip, however, wasn’t the travel itself or even the things I did, but rather the friendships I made and strengthened. We had a really good group, and the smaller independent group that I traveled around with was perfect. It was so nice to have people who wanted to do the same things that I did, and I checked off some bucket list items as a result. I am so grateful to have


gotten this experience, and to have done it at the end of my senior year was the best send off I can imagine. 

I guess the best way to leave this blog is with a poem by Wendy Cope that our tour director Sarah introduced us to. It’s called “The Orange”, and has quickly become a favorite of mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bittersweet

                   To be perfectly honest, I have been putting off writing my final blog because it makes me kind of sad. Maybe melancholic ...